The time has come . . .
Ok - I've said it. It's out there in writing. As of May 21, 2012, I am flimsy-paper-card-carrying-member of Weight Watchers! And you know what? So far, I LOVE IT! That may be the nerdy, techie girl in me speaking, but the electronic tracking got me. Sucked me in and is keeping me there. Is that all it took? Had I only known sooner. Will it last?
I hope so! Come with me and see!
UPDATE: March 17, 2013: 43 weeks, and I made my goal! Weight loss at goal, 61.6 pounds - 29.2%!
UPDATE: April 28, 2013: I'm a LIFETIME member now!
Weight loss to date: 73.2 pounds

Monday, March 11, 2013

Side bar - continued . . .

So it’s been about a week since the article Lawyers With Style: Colin Jones came out, and I've had time to actually think about it.

Back in the day, when this fine young attorney was just a little kid, I knew he was going to be someone special. His preschool teacher told me “He’s going to be President one day”, random strangers would come up to us in malls and comment that he should be on TV, and waitresses came to our table to compliment his behavior. I remember actually buying a little pad of certificates “You Made Me So Proud Today . . .” and running out of them pretty fast. I still have a few of them in my bags of “must keep” stuff. I also remember never winning an argument with him. If I said “No” to a request, Colin would come back with a very convincing argument why I should be saying “Yes”. And I always ended up seeing it his way! I’m fairly certain he could have then switched the discussion back the opposite and re-convince me back the other way. That’s when I knew he should be an attorney.

After high school graduation when he told me he wanted to go to USC, I smiled and my outside voice said “Great!” but my inside voice said “Their acceptance rate is so low . . . I don’t want him to be disappointed”. Well, he wasn't disappointed . . . he was accepted. Again, my outside voice said “Great!!” but my inside voice said “Oh no, how am I gonna afford this?” I didn't want him to be disappointed. But, he went up to register and came home with scholarships. So, now I’m thinking I need to tell my inside voice to shut up.

Well, he made it through USC, graduating with honors and a double major. Then came law school and the move to Chicago. I was sad when he moved away to live closer to USC – but Chicago? This was gonna be much harder for me! Not entirely certain who law school was harder for. He’ll probably say him. I spent a few years telling myself whatever the struggles were now would pay off and be worth it one day. I pretty sure he was telling himself the same thing, but for different reasons. He was the one in law school, after all. But, we both survived.

After graduating from law school, I finally had my boy back out in Los Angeles! YAY! But that was short lived, and he soon moved back to Chicago. Now I was disappointed. On a happy note, I kept his dog. I know – I was supposed to give her back. He’ll have to take me to court now because I’m never giving her back. But I hope he doesn't because I know full well I’d lose that case. And probably have to pay back dog-support.

Now, back to the article. I was so excited to read it! I knew he’d been selected for the article, but I didn't know when it was coming out. When he sent me the link, I glanced over it and quickly sent him a congratulatory email. But I hadn't fully read it to the end. When I did, and read the now famous (to me anyway) Question #14, I almost dropped to the floor with surprise. He gave me a shout out! I think I floated around the rest of the day and I still haven’t stopped smiling. I tell everyone I share it with to read Question #14. Just in case you missed it, here it is:

14. What accessory are you most sentimental about?
When I graduated law school, my mom bought me a cognac leather Bosca briefcase. Her sacrifices helped get me where I am today, so she deserves a shout out in the pages of Chicago Lawyer.

Now I have realized that the “someday it will all be worth it” day is here! My son, that little boy with the cute bowl haircut, is grown up, and very successful! In magazines, even! I think I've done my job, and am so excited for him, and can’t wait to see what his future holds. Way to GO, my little one! Mom loves you!

So, how do you like THAT, Inside Voice??


No comments:

Post a Comment