The time has come . . .
Ok - I've said it. It's out there in writing. As of May 21, 2012, I am flimsy-paper-card-carrying-member of Weight Watchers! And you know what? So far, I LOVE IT! That may be the nerdy, techie girl in me speaking, but the electronic tracking got me. Sucked me in and is keeping me there. Is that all it took? Had I only known sooner. Will it last?
I hope so! Come with me and see!
UPDATE: March 17, 2013: 43 weeks, and I made my goal! Weight loss at goal, 61.6 pounds - 29.2%!
UPDATE: April 28, 2013: I'm a LIFETIME member now!
Weight loss to date: 73.2 pounds

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Week 43 - GOAL!

I made my goal! Thanks to my wonderful leader, Jackie!
Showing off our Weight Watcher tattoos.
It took 43 weeks - today I made it to my "official" Weight Watcher goal - actually under it by 1.2 pounds. Weight loss total is 61.6 pounds - 29.28% of my starting weight lost. Whooohoo!!! Am I happy there? Hmmmm . . . maybe. I'd like to lose another 3.2, but we'll see how it goes. E-tools wasted no time at all assigning me 4 extra points per day for "maintenance". I guess Weight Watchers thinks I am done.
 
It seemed not all that long ago that I made a commitment to improve my life, and walked in to my first WW meeting. May 21, 2012. I went to a Monday evening meeting, which was a little difficult. I had to arrange for my mom and dad to come to the house to let the dog out, and also feed the cats and dog. I even had to leave work early to get to the meeting on time. Luckily, I have a wonderfully understanding boss (thank you, Nancy!!). I remember thinking it was going to be really inconvienient doing this every week. Lucky for me (although I didn't realize at the time just HOW lucky!) the following Monday was a holiday (Memorial Day), and Weight Watchers would be closed that day. We were told we'd have to find a different meeting to attend that week. Grrrrrr.....to early for a bump in my not-even-fully-set-routine. But, like a good little member, I found another meeting to attend. Sunday morning, 9:30 am. Seriously? Then how would I sleep in? Besides, "In the Kitchen with David" on QVC started at 9:00 am. Clearly this was NOT going to be my usual meeting time. Until I attended it.
 
When you hear people say "find a leader you like and connect with" LISTEN TO THEM. It is true! Nothing against the Monday night leader, but the leader at this Sunday morning meeting was amazing! Jackie had me hanging on every word, and laughing along the way. She was so motivating and really got me excited, and believing I could do this. And the group of girls were just as amazing - from the receptionsts to the members. Melissa, Kerry, Penny, Tonja, Rebecca, Nicole and Summer, you girls are amazing, and I love all of you. Thank you for your friendship! That Sunday morning was when I knew that I had found "my meeting". See ya, ITKWD, that's what DVRs are for! And sleeping in?!?! To this day I'm so excited to go to my meeting Sunday morning that I have a hard time staying asleep if I accidently wake up "early".
 
Things have really changed in this last 10 months. For one,  I have drastically changed the way I eat. No more tubs of frosting for dinner! And I haven't been to fast food since I joined. I used to go through the drive-thru every evening on my way home for dinner. Now I cook on weekends and know what I'm having for dinner when I get up. I eat more fruits and vegetables than I ever did, and really look forward to the giant Granny Smith apple I have after dinner every night. I roast a big batch of brussels sprouts every Sunday, too, and am addicted to those. I pack snacks, and bring my lunch everyday to work. All those things are just routine for me now - that's just the way it is.
 
Secondly, I got up off the couch. I have walked 6 5ks. Please note, I did say "walk" . . . but at least my biggest fear didn't come to pass. Before my first 5k walk, I left home with my will on the table, and had already envisioned the evening news report about the lady that collapsed and was dragged off the road by medics during a local 5k walk/run. To my utter surpise, I walked (under my own power even!) across the Finish Line! Now, I know many people walk more than that daily, just in their normal course of a day . . . but I surely didn't. For me, this was a huge accomplishment and I was thrilled with myself! I emailed a picture of my bib number (which included my name) to my son. Up until then (2 months on WW), I hadn't told him I had joined Weight Watchers. My hope was that I would be able to suprise him with my weight loss when I saw him over the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. But, I was just so proud of mself that I had to show him. And he was surpised - and proud! Just what I'd hoped for! I would love to be able to do a walk a month, but at $40 (appx) for each walk, that isn't in the cards right now.
 
And of course, I track! I have not missed a day of tracking since I started. I really think it is important for success in this program. I track on my iPhone with the Weight Watcher moblie apps, and for me, that is what makes it so easy.
 
Coincidently, I had the usual blood work done last February before I changed my ways, and currently have orders in my hand to repeat them to see if my new life style has made any improvement in them. I haven't done it yet, though. I also am struggling with exercising - I just can't seem to get into a routine there. But I know it is important. I'll get there.
 
So, thank you family - Mom, Dad, Colin and Natalie; Cypress Weight Watcher friends Jackie, Kerry, Nicole, Melissa, Rebecca, Tonja and Penny; UCI Weight Watchers at Work friends - Debi, Deborah, Kitti, Gracie, Erin, Nancy, Heather, Marcy, Jenny, Lora, Anna and Priscilla; fellow UCI co-workers and friends Rhonda, Nancy, Deanne, Ellen, Benedicata, Julie, Janet, Arnie, Lisa, Hang, Alma, Maryam, Carol, Soheyla, Liz, Laura, Victor, Steve, Laurie, Sophie, Rooba, May, Tracy, Margie, Shirley, Tricia, Dr. Rezk, the entire Micro gang (too many to mention!) . . . sheesh, and I know I'm leaving people out . . . for your support, encouragement, kind words and compliments along my journey. With the support I've gotten from all of you I made it!!! Now I need your help to stay there . . .
 
"Goal" charm from Weight Watchers

10 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS on making goal!!! I'm so bummed I wasn't there to celebrate with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You WERE there . . . in my heart, silly girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I'm going back to meetings on Tuesday and you've given me new inspiration that I can do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAY! I'm so happy - truly, if I can make it to my goal, so can you. Friends, both in RL and electronic, can make a huge difference. Come by anytime you want to talk! Good luck to you! - Dee

      Delete
  4. congratulations!!!!!
    --elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I have read your blog, I followed the link from The Daily Mel. I am so glad I did. Congratulations! What a wonderful job you did losing 61.6 pounds in 42 weeks, that is truly amazing and inspiring. I was feeling a little down this morning about my lack of progress and skipped my meeting.....this was the pick-me-up I needed to get re-inspired! Thanks for that!

    Congratulations again and also, you look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, thanks! It really hit me yesterday watching the finale of the Biggest Loser when my weight loss percentage was right there in the mix! Not near the top, mind you, but not at the bottom either. Sometimes from the "inside" the accomplishment doesn't seem all that big, and it takes people on the "outside" to point it out. Thanks for taking the time to re-point that out to me! Time to re-frame my brain, I guess! And good luck to you with your journey. I'm rooting for you - stop by any time!

      Delete
  7. You have motivated me to rejoin WW! Thank you so much for sharing your success! Beth

    ReplyDelete